Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thanks be to God

Last week was a difficult week for me personally. Things were going alright on the outside but inside of me a significant part of me was experiencing death. Getting straight to the point...it was the death of a dream...a pursuit of fulltime vocational worship ministry and music/songwriting. It was a realization of a misplaced romance. I thought the music thing died a year ago in May 07 but it obviously was only a surface death....like killing the growth of a weed but the root is still alive. There will be new growth in a month or two.

This past week was an uprooting of a weed. It hurts. Dying to a dream is painful. However, the new life it brings is awesome and peaceful! It's a process of letting go. Surrender.

Well...God is good! He lifted a massive burden from my heart and has given me peace and strength to move forward to pursue only Him! I love the way He works!! Sometimes I think I am operating in His strength alone....then He helps me see that I am not. He wants EVERY once and milli-ounce (is that a word?) of "Don" stripped away in order to conform me to His standard and produce His fruit within me.

So I rest and delight in Him, knowing that He holds ALL things in His hands.

Then something happened this morning that brought to mind Psalm 37:4 -

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."

I received a phone call from a Worship Pastor/Recording Artist friend of mine who shared with me that he recorded one of my songs that his church had fallen in love with 4 years ago. He's sending me a packaged CD with the song on it! God is SO good and gracious to me! I pray that God will breathe life into this song and let the words fall upon the hearts and minds of the listener like refreshing rain drops on a hot Texas Summer day.

Please join me in prayer as my friend will be leading worship at a conference his denomination is holding next week. He is sending the CD home with ministry leaders from all over North America and around the world. Pray that every song on that CD strikes the right chord with the listener to bring them under the love and passion of Christ.

1 comment:

Katie Penfield said...

Hey Uncle Don!

Heard you had a blog and thought I'd stop by and say hello. I have a blog also:

www.simplyavantgarde.blogspot.com

Love you!
Katie